Re: beginning-of-measure padding value?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: beginning-of-measure padding value?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 16:11:45 -0500

On 4/10/07, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Kieren MacMillan wrote:
> [ Lilypond 2.11.12 ; Mac OS X 10.4.9 ]
>
> Hello, all!
>
> In recent versions of Lilypond,
Could you be more specific. Are you talking about recent 2.11.x versions
or ...?
> I find that the first element of every measure is generally too close
> to the preceding barline for my taste -- i.e., there isn't enough
> left-padding on the first note or rest or whatever (n.b., the spacing
> issue is especially egregious when the first item is an accidental,
> arpeggio, or other "note attachment").
After some search, I noticed that the fix to
included the following change:
http://git.sv.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commitdiff;h=4882689987e5f33926fff2cbee0dced4d5de9c7c#patch7
which might be what you have reacted on.
To get the previous value of this specific setting, you can do
  \override Score.BarLine #'space-alist = #'(
                        (time-signature . (extra-space . 0.75))
                        (custos . (minimum-space . 2.0))
                        (clef . (minimum-space . 1.0))
                        (key-signature . (extra-space . 1.0))
                        (key-cancellation . (extra-space . 1.0))
                        (first-note . (fixed-space . 1.3))
                        (next-note . (semi-fixed-space . 1.3)) % Changed
from the new default 0.9
                        (right-edge . (extra-space . 0.0)))

Hi Kieren, hi Mats,

As long as we're somewhat on the topic, how do we get more space
before the first note of each *line* (as opposed to each measure)?

Here's an example:

%%% BEGIN %%%

\version "2.11.20"

\new Score \with {
  \override BarLine #'space-alist = #'(
     (time-signature extra-space . 0.75)
     (custos minimum-space . 2.0)
     (clef minimum-space . 1.0)
     (key-signature extra-space . 1.0)
     (key-cancellation extra-space . 1.0)
     (first-note fixed-space . 10.3)
     (next-note semi-fixed-space . 10)
     (right-edge extra-space . 0.0))
} {
  \new Staff {
     c'4 c'4 c'4 c'4
     d'4 d'4 d'4 d'4

There's more space before the ds (because of next-note); but how can
we get more space before the cs?

(Side question: isn't there some way to set individual pairs in an
alist separately? I seem to remember there being a way to do that, but
can't find anything on a quick manual scan.)

--
Trevor Bača