Saying hello and looking for real incipit to image conversion

From: Chad Thatcher
Subject: Saying hello and looking for real incipit to image conversion
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 01:36:03 +0000 (UTC)

Hello, I am brand new to Lilypond and this list so hello to everyone.  I think
this program is brilliant and am currently using it on an intel mac running
10.4.9 and it works great.

I have been hunting around for a program that will produce a musical bar as an
image (png, pdf or whatever) from a "real" incipit.  I say "real" because I am
not so sure about my understanding of this term now that I have read through
some of the Lilypond docs.  Before this I took the meaning to be the typewriter
based ascii representation of a piece of music like this:

''4G{3G FbEDC'BA5
BG}{8GxF+}{3FEDEFGA''5C'B}/''8{C+3C5DC'3B''C}{6.Ct'5B''C6D'A}''
8G'3-{G5AB''CD}{8bE'B}/{6BA''bED}8-{BxF}{6D3DbEDC'B''5C'A}
{3BxFGDbE''5DC'B''CC'B''C}/

The above incipit is a Sonata (#1 as it goes) by Johann Sebastian Bach as
supplied by a cataloging project at the British Library.  Could Lilypond
convert this into a musical bar or is this nothing like what Lily considers
an incipit?

I have seen talk of incipits everywhere in the docs but wherever they are
mentioned the data is not recognizable to me and my limited knowledge of how
the above inicipit system works.

Can anyone clear up my misunderstanding of incipit as a term and what it
actually means of what the seemingly different meanings might be?

Thanks,

Chad.