How to cleanly convert MIDI to Lilypond?

From: Michael David Crawford
Subject: How to cleanly convert MIDI to Lilypond?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 03:25:04 -0700

So I was finally able to find a free (as in beer) MIDI recorder for Mac OS X. LUNA Free works on Windows too:

http://www.mutools.com/downloads.html

I has, IMHO, a bizarre user interfacce, but it seems reliable and produced MIDI files that sounded good when I played them back by streaming the MIDI back to my keyboard.

But (as I was warned), my first shot at using midi2ly looked kinda like this:

  \tempo 4 = 120
  s4*2396/1920 g''4 s4*353/1920 c,4 s4*265/1920 e4 s4*309/1920 g4
  s4*175/1920 c,4 s4*176/1920 e4 s4*309/1920 g4 s4*220/1920 c,4

D'oh!

Is there some automated way I can clean this up? midi2ly offers some support for quantization, but I wasn't able to make it work. One problem I have is that I sometimes vary my tempo as I play.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy Sagan Technology's Metro SE. It offers more featureful MIDI recording than LUNA Free does, and has some support for non-destructive quantization:

http://www.sagantech.biz/

My problem is that I like to compose by improvising, and would like to just play without the interruption of scoring the good stuff, but to record it and score it later. I'm actually planning to spend much of the spring and summer recording my improvisations to MIDI files, in hopes that by fall I'll have enough new material to record a new CD.

I'm also considering buying Cubase Se. It's a little more expensive than Metro Se, but all the audio people I talk to rave about Cubase - but it's the entry-level version, not what the pros use. I just want something for MIDI recording for now.

What I might try doing is to manually transcribe from the "piano roll" views provided by most MIDI sequencers, by looking at the notes on the piano roll then just typing in what I think the Lilypond code should be.

Any advice for me?

Best,

Mike Crawford
address@hidden