Re: music scores search engine

From: Mike Blackstock
Subject: Re: music scores search engine
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:33:29 -0400

I think as an open-source project under the Apache umbrella,
Nutch might be a great project for musicians with development
skills to get involved and add more music search functionality.

A while ago I had a brief look at the Music and Audio Retrieval
tools (http://maart.sourceforge.net) which aims to offer search
and retrieval of music fragments within midi and mp3 files. I'm
not sure how far along that project is, but searching into lilypond
files, as you suggest, does not seem to pose insumountable problems,
at least when thinking out loud about it in really general terms.

Cheers,
Mike

Valentin Villenave wrote:

I find it's an excellent idea; maybe some extra options could be
needed (for instance, to find only LilyPond files, or free-licensed
scores :-), but this is indeed good start.

[snip]

I wish there could be some tool to search *into* LilyPond files, for
instance to search for a precise theme or whatever... Applying
Google-like world-domination plans to LilyPond! :-)

OK, I may have too much imagination...

Regards,
Valentin.