Re: producing "archival" scores

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: producing "archival" scores
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 13:27:21 +0100

In message <address@hidden>, Bart Kummel <address@hidden> writes
Hi List,

I just read this very interesting discussion. I don't think this is a problem that will easily be solved. In fact, this is not a Lilypond- or even music notation-specific problem. Similar cases exist for all other file formats. (For example: how future proof is Microsoft's .doc format?)

However, I just want to add another possible direction for a solution. I recently came across a project called XSugar (www.brics.dk/xsugar/ ). It's a tool that gives the possibility to transform between XML and non-XML formats in two directions. (Unlike XSLT, which can do a transformation from XML to non-XML, but not the other way around.) I think it should be possible to write a XSugar grammar for converting Lilypond format to MusicXML and back. Unfortunately I don't have the time to investigate this, but perhaps someone else has...

There's lots of options like this ...

Is it Erik? who has done an Antlr grammar for lilypond? Antlr's great at transforming stuff, and it's my personal opinion convert-ly should be rewritten to use Antlr to convert between pretty much any form of input. That could then convert to and from XML, .ly, Sibelius, Finale, whatever, just by adding extra grammars.

I'm not volunteering, though!!!

There's also the possibility the Music Streams work will make a lot of this conversion stuff easier - I think that is in part the aim of doing the music stream stuff.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman - address@hidden