Re: Hiding Empty Tab Staves

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Hiding Empty Tab Staves
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 08:58:28 +0200

Jack Cooper wrote:
I've successfully used a trick, documented somewhere in the archives,
that allows empty voice staves to be hidden in a score. The trick involved
defining a "RemoveEmptyStaff" context, and changing some of the
engravers normally used.

For normal staves, this is well documented in the manual, see the section on
"Hiding staves".
I am trying to accomplish the same thing for a score containing a tabulature
staff and voice.  The score is a lead sheet consisting of vocal melody,
lyrics and chords.  I want to add tabulature in certain parts of the song
to show a guitar lick, but do not want empty tabulature staves to appear
for the rest of the song. I am currently using version 2.10.17 - if it will
help, I can include the syntax, as it currently stands, which produces
the output including tab part.
You can find the basic steps of the solution in the mailing list archives. However,
it seems that some details have changed, so I include the solution here:
\layout{
 \context {
   \TabStaff
   \remove "Axis_group_engraver"
   \consists "Hara_kiri_engraver"
   \override Beam #'auto-knee-gap = #'()
  \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-empty = ##t

   /Mats