lilypond-book and pdf output

From: Graeme McKinstry
Subject: lilypond-book and pdf output
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:22:29 +0000 (UTC)

First some information

Lilypond 2.11 running under Mac OS X 10.4.9 (Intel)

Lilypond installed and running fine. Generating PDF output.

Problem:

Running lilypond-book ok from command line but it
doesn't seem to produce any sensible output. If I
create a new directory (--output) I get a new .tex file,
a snippet-map.ly, a tmpegputv.aux, and a .dep file.
But the new .tex file seems to be the same as the
original file plus an \include{graphics} command.
Running LaTeX or pdfLaTeX on this new .tex gives
me, not surprisingly, an undefined lilypond
environment error. I have reread the documentation
numerous times, googled on the web but can't seem
to get sensible output.

What am I doing wrong?

As I am getting PDF output okay, an alternative is to
create a PDF file with no margins, etc., i.e., just the
right size to contain the music graphic. Are there
any lilypond settings to do this so I can bypass the
lilypond-book command which I need to run via the
terminal?

PS: I have a very extensive backgound in TeX/LaTeX
and my wife has considerable experience in Sibelius.
We are both enjoying trying out Lilypond.