Re: Measure number collision

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Measure number collision
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 08:02:05 +0200 (CEST)

> I think it would be hard to write macros to approximate strokes with
> lines.

Well, right now I'm rewriting the parmesan stuff to make it work with
mf2pt1 (the feta stuff has already be done two years ago).  After this
has been finished, only `fill' and `unfill' is used, and `draw' and
`drawdot' are gone.

> My suggestion is to render the outside contour as a coarse bitmap,
> and then use potrace to generate a simple curved representation.

I was thinking of doing something similar directly in metafont:

  1. Collect all paths within a glyph so that they can be addressed
     sequentially.

  2. Find intersections of horizontal rays coming from the left with
     all paths, taking the minimum x value of the found intersections.

     The vertical distance of those rays (which gives the resolution
     granularity) is something I would like to know from you.

  3. Repeat step 2 for the remaining three directions.

        Werner