Embedded preview in output EPS files

From: Clifford W. Racz
Subject: Embedded preview in output EPS files
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 18:27:53 -0400

I read the manual.
I searched the source code.

To use an EPS file in a word processing document (such as MS Word), I am using a command like this:

  lilypond -b eps --png --pdf foobar.ly

The EPS prints fine, but there is no embedded preview in the file. That is completely understood. The documentation shows no option for adding a bitmapped preview to the EPS so that it will show up in the word processing document.

I can create one with commands like:

  epstool -t6p foobar.eps fooNew.eps
  epstool -w foobar.eps fooW.eps

Is there a way that this can be done directly with LilyPond?
I think that if the PNG could be embedded as a preview for the *.eps files, that would be exactly what I am looking for.

I am not very familiar with Scheme, so while I can tell in those *.scm instructions, there are relating lines of code, but I don't know what they mean.

Please do not confuse my question with the preview functionality:

  lilypond --preview foobar.ly

This is a preview of the music, not an embedded bitmap of the EPS file.

System information:
I am using v2.10.23 on the Windows platform
I would like to include about 100 snippets into a music book that I am assisting a committee with. So, they will not understand the concept that music can print but not show up on the screen. They are Windows users, and expect that this source document will be available in MS Word for them.

%foobar.ly source
#(set! toplevel-score-handler print-score-with-defaults)
#(set! toplevel-music-handler
(lambda (p m)
 (if (not (eq? (ly:music-property m 'void) #t))
      (print-score-with-defaults
       p (scorify-music m p)))))

#(ly:set-option (quote no-point-and-click))
#(define inside-lilypond-book #t)
#(define version-seen #t)

\paper {
#(define dump-extents #t)
indent = 0\mm
line-width = 160\mm - 2.0 * 0.4\in
ragged-right = ##t
force-assignment = #""
line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000))
}

\layout {
\context {
\Staff