Re: question about the documentation

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: question about the documentation
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 20:27:03 +0200

Le samedi 12 mai 2007 à 20:00 +0300, Till Rettig a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> while translating I found this sentence in the Docs Version 2.11.23
> chapter 6.1.7:
>
> "In the example below, the first check passes without incident, since
> the e (in relative mode) is within a fifth of a'. However, the second
> check produces a warning, since the e is not within a fifth of b'. The
> warning message is printed, and the octave is adjusted so that the
> following notes are in the correct octave once again."
>
> What does the fifth do here? Wouldn't it be better to say: "inside the
> same octave" or something like this?

I don't think so.  The meaning of "inside the same octave" isn't very
clear to me, how would you define it?  If you mean that two pitches are
inside the same octave if there is no c (or whatever note you want)
between them, this definition isn't appropried for LilyPond relative
notation.

>   It seems I don't understand this passage. Why is it suddenly a fifth
> and not a fourth anymore?

"within a fifth" should be interpreted as "strictly within a fifth",
which is equivalent to "within up to a fourth".  I guess "strictly" is
not necessary in this case, it's certainly the same as "positive"
meaning "(strictly) greater than zero" when speaking of numbers, so IMHO
there is no need to fix current documentation.  In French, we have no
such convention, so we always have to use phrases like "strictly" or
"non-strictly".  What are the rules in German?

(please correct me if I'm wrong).

Cheers
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>