STDIN problem on Windows platform - How to make it work

From: Clifford W. Racz
Subject: STDIN problem on Windows platform - How to make it work
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 09:41:40 -0400

The STDIN does not work in NTShell command line as it should.  This is NOT a problem with lilypond, but rather with Windows.

I have solved this problem and I am posting for others who may RTFM to solve it.

It seems that there is a comment on this as a general problem with Windows:
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t356170-cant-detect-eof-from-stdin-on-windows-console.html

The EOF is [CTRL+Z] on the Windows platform, but it cannot be sent at just any time.  It must be at the beginning of the line (or an entire line by itself).  So, it works like this:

$ lilypond.exe -b eps --pdf --output=foo3 -
GNU LilyPond 2.10.23
Processing `-'
Parsing...

\paper {
  #(define dump-extents #t)
  indent = 0\mm
  line-width = 160\mm - 2.0 * 0.4\in
  ragged-right = ##t
  force-assignment = #""
  line-width = #(- line-width (* mm  3.000000))
}

\relative c' { \sourcefileline 10 a b c d e f g' }
^Z

-: 0: warning: no \version statement found, please add

\version "2.10.23"

for future compatibility
Interpreting music... [1]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Writing foo3-systems.tex...
Writing foo3-systems.texi...
Layout output to `foo3-1.eps'...
Converting to `foo3-1.pdf'...
Layout output to `foo3.eps'...
Converting to `foo3.pdf'...

The key-strokes are
[ENTER][CTRL+Z][ENTER]
at the end of the music code

Hope this helps someone else.  This software is really great!

Clifford W. Racz
Purdue University
Agricultural and Biological Engineering
225 South University Street