dynamic/barline collisions

From: Neil Thornock
Subject: dynamic/barline collisions
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 19:39:10 -0400

I notice that the dynamics in the Piano Centered Dynamics template are aligned too far left, giving rise to collision with barlines when they appear on the first note of a measure.    I can't find any documentation on this problem.

The code below shows the incorrect horizontal alignments of the Piano Centered Dynamics and then the "proper" alignments when dynamics are attached to "real" notes.

I can adjust the horizontal offsets in the DynamicText override (0.7 appears to be the perfect correction), but then the dynamic collides with the hairpin.  Obviously I can't adjust the hairpin, or I get hairpins running into other kinds of trouble at the other end.

Has anyone dealt with this?...

Thanks!

Neil

CODE BELOW

upper = \relative {

    \time 4/4 a'4 b c d e f g a a g f e d c b a
a4\p\< b c d e\mf\> f g a a\pp g f e d c b a

 }

lower = \relative {
\clef bass
a2 b c d d c b a
a2 b c d d c b a
    }

dynamics = {
s1\p\< s1\mf\> s1\pp
     }

\score {
\new PianoStaff <<
\new Staff = "upper" \upper
\new Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
\new Staff = "lower" <<
\clef bass
\lower

\layout {
\context {
\type "Engraver_group"
\name Dynamics
\alias Voice
\consists "Output_property_engraver"

\consists "Script_engraver"
\consists "Dynamic_engraver"
\consists "Text_engraver"

\override TextScript #'font-size = #2
\override TextScript #'font-shape = #'italic
\override DynamicText #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)
\override Hairpin #'extra-offset = #'(0 . 2.5)

\consists "Skip_event_swallow_translator"

\consists "Axis_group_engraver" }

\context {
\PianoStaff
\accepts Dynamics
\override VerticalAlignment #'forced-distance = #7 }}}

\version "2.10.23"