Re: etf2ly

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: etf2ly
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 06:46:11 +0000 (UTC)

Helge Kruse <HelgeKruse <at> t-online.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I tried to use a graphical front end at my Windows XP system. Since Finale
> Notepad is free, I wrote a simple song and store the MUS file. When I run
> etf2ly lala.MUS I get always the content
>
> % lily was here -- automatically converted by etf2ly from lala.mus
>
> This is not too much. Can etf2ly accept Finale (Notepad) files anyhow?

I think you have to explicitly save as ETF, and I guess this function is only
available in a less free version.  (Do keep in mind that Finale Notepad is free
as in beer, not as in speech.)

Furthermore, I'm not sure how well-maintained etf2ly is.  I've only used it
once, years ago, with moderate success.  I seem to remember having to modify the
script slightly for it to work with the given input.

I've only tried Finale Notepad on Mac OSX myself, and I wasn't impressed.  It
was probably worth what I paid for it, in contrast to Lilypond which is worth a
lot more than the same price (0).

Cheers,

Arvid