Re: lyrics alignment in melismas

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: lyrics alignment in melismas
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2007 18:12:08 +0200

2007/6/5, Wilbert Berendsen <address@hidden>:

Hi Wilbert,

as far as I can see everybody forgot to answer your question.

when two eigth notes are just a \melisma, the lyric syllabe is centered below
the first note. But when the two notes are connected with a slur, the syllabe
is left-aligned with the first note, and continues below the second note.

You are absolutely right.

I reproduced it in the following snippet:

\score {
   \new Staff {    << \new Voice = "toto"
     \relative  {a'8 b( c d) e \melisma f g \melismaEnd a }
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "toto"
   {patton patton patton patton patton patton patton patton } >> }
}

Is there a way to have the syllabe left-aligned without the need to add slurs
(because they are autobeamed together anyway)?

Yes; you might want to use the trick shown in
http://lsr.dsi.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=282

Your score will looke like this:

\score {
   \new Staff {    << \new Voice = "toto"
     \relative  {a'8 b( c d) e \melisma f g \melismaEnd a }
   \new Lyrics \lyricsto "toto"
   {patton patton
   \once \override LyricText #'self-alignment-X = #LEFT patton patton } >> }
}

By the way, I find lyrics left-aligned much easier to read; I
personnaly use the \override without \once so it applies to my whole
scores.

Regards,
Valentin