Re: Nested \includes in different subdirectories?

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Nested \includes in different subdirectories?
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:50:23 -0700

Valentin Villenave wrote:
Is it possible (and is it a good idea) to include a fileXXXX.ly by
specifying its path, then in the fileXXXX.ly include another
fileZZZZ.ly with a different path, and so on?

I've done that, but only when I carefully arranged my directories so that "../init/foo.ly" meant the same thing whether I was including a file from an actual piece of music or whether I was including it from my main "global.ly" file.

...like if you still were in FileA; so the absolute path you specify
in FileB has nothing to do with FileB's *actual* location!

Yes.

I can't imagine I am the first one to ask this question; however I
couldn't find anything anywhere.

It's a bug that I never considered important enough to bother the main developers about, especially since I thought it would be a good exercise (and within my ability) to change it myself. Or perhaps, to avoid existing stuff breaking, I should add a new \includeRelative command. Or something.

Of course, it's been about two years now, so I'm clearly never going to get around to it. So perhaps this _should_ become an official feature request after all.

Cheers,
- Graham