Re: PSPad: a Lily-friendly editor for Windows

From: madhg
Subject: Re: PSPad: a Lily-friendly editor for Windows
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 12:36:59 -0700 (PDT)

Eduardo Vieira-3 wrote:

>> Sent from the Gnu - Lilypond - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>

> Hello! I've downloaded it. What else do I need to do after installing the
> program and copying the Lilypond.ini to the folder syntax, so it can start
> working, that is, using syntax highlighting?
> Can you use point-and-click features with this editor?

* put the file into the Syntax subfolder of the PSPad application folder
(usually in  C:\Program Files)

* Open PSPad

* In the Settings menu open Highlighters Settings

* Get a dialog with a list of programming languages etc. in a left-hand
pane.

* There will probably be an item called Lilypond.  If not, go to the items
at the end labelled <not assigned>, check the checkbox and highlight that
line  There will be various things to be done next, I forget exactly what,
try the program help, and if no luck, email me (but I'm away Sunday-Tuesday)

* In the Compiler tab for the Lilypond syntax:
  - in Compiler enter the path of the lilypond executable
  - in Parameters enter %Name% or maybe %Name%.ly  (I run lilypond via a
batchfile which requires only the %Name% without extension
  - in Default Directory enter %Dir%
  - check all 3 checkboxes
  - in LOG Parser enter  %F:%L:%C  (that enables automatic jumping to an
error-producing line in your lilypond code - very nice!

* In the External Applications tab enter
"C:\Programs\gs\Ghostgum\gsview\gsview32.exe" "%Name%.pdf" for Ghostview
(obviously you may have a different path) and/or similar for Acrobat

* In the "colours" tab you can choose the highlighting colours.

To set your own keyboard shortcuts, choose Program Settings in the Settings
menu, go to the last item, Key Map, look in the File menu item settings, you
should find Compile and Acrord and/or Ghostview, double-click to enter a new
shortcut (can use Ctrl+shift+Z etc. if you want).

Hope this helps.  There's a user forum on the PSPad website.

David

PS you asked about point-and-click, I assume this means clicking on a note
in Adobe Acrobat Reader and getting the editor's cursor display the relevant
piece of code.   I don't see why it shouldn't work with any text editor, but
I haven't been able to get this to work at all on WinXP.  The browser
doesn't seem to recognise and act on the message sent by Acrobat Reader.  I
asked about this on the lilypond list (via Nabble) many months ago, and
still can't fix the problem.   If you know how to do it, I'd be interested
in any help you can give.