Re: Fonts in SVG output

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Fonts in SVG output
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 18:58:30 -0700

Benjamin Esham wrote:
In order to submit one of LilyPond's SVGs to e.g. the Wikimedia Commons, it
is necessary to convert all of its text into paths; that way, users need not
have LilyPond's fonts in order to view the image correctly.  Before
converting text into paths in Inkscape, you must make sure that none of the
text is contained within a group.  Therefore, I started to process my file
by selecting everything and issuing an Ungroup command.

When I did so, the staff lines disappeared!  Apparently every object in the
file is in a one-element group.  For some reason, ungrouping the staff lines
made them disappear—they were still present, just not visible.  I think
there may be an Inkscape bug at play here too, since "Select All" couldn't
find the lines, but on the LilyPond end... how can I get Lily to create a
sane, usable SVG file?
Any help is greatly appreciated here.

There have been some discussions about SVG recently; it's an area of considerable interest to some users, including me. Another example is this:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2007-07/msg00009.html

Unfortunately, nobody is working on LilyPond SVG output. We currently lack the developer resources to keep up with the current bug reports, let alone adding new features like improved SVG support.

I strongly urge anybody who is interested in SVG support to consider contributing resources (either source code or offering a bounty) to this end. If you are involved in a project that uses SVG (like this Wikimedia Commons thing), then perhaps you could encourage one of their programmers (who is familiar with SVG) to work on lilypond's output.

Cheers,
- Graham