Re: Custom Volta repeats

From: Romel Anthony S. Bismonte
Subject: Re: Custom Volta repeats
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 01:46:07 +1000

Thanks to all the people who gave suggestions. I thought about volta brackets a good deal this afternoon while considering all the suggestions, and it dawned on me that the collision between volta spanners isn't happening where I thought it was happening. I first thought that the collision was happening between the "\repeat volta" style repeat and the custom volta repeat. It was actually happening between the two custom volta brackets.

Here is the correction I came up with:

\score {
    \new Voice \relative c' {
        c4 d e g |
        c, d e g
        \repeat volta 2 {
            a g c b |
            a g e d
        }

        \set Score.repeatCommands =
            #'(end-repeat start-repeat (volta "1 - 4"))
            g f e d
        \set Score.repeatCommands =
            #'((volta #f) end-repeat (volta "5"))
        c1 ~ |
        \set Score.repeatCommands =
            #'((volta #f))
        c4 d e f g a g f e f e d c d c b a b a g f1
        \bar "|."

I needed to stop the (volta "1 - 4") bracket from the earlier \set command with its own (volta #f). Similarly, I also needed to stop the second bracket using the same repeat command. The extra notes were part of an experiment I did, because I was curious about something. Originally, the second \set command looked like this:

\set Score.repeatCommands = #'((volta #f) end-repeat (volta "5") (volta #f))

When I added extra notes, I found out that the second volta bracket lasted all the way out to the end of the piece! Not what I wanted at all, even if it would have looked fine with just one measure remaining (as my example was in the beginning.)

I would like to note that this produces the correct output, but to me is not completely satisfactory. Technically, Lilypond doesn't know that the fragment "g f e d" needs to be played four times, then to play whatever goes after. It just says, "Put on two volta brackets, put the string '1-4' on the first, and '5' on the other." However, since the musician (the one meant to read the thing) would not notice the difference, I don't mind it much. ^_^

I hope this helps someone looking to mark their voltas with explicit repeat numbers. Thanks again, all.

Cheers,
Romel