Re: Aligning relative to page - Use OOoLilyPond

From: sdfgsdhdshd
Subject: Re: Aligning relative to page - Use OOoLilyPond
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 05:45:49 -0700 (PDT)

Laura Conrad wrote:

> if there's ever a system for aligning text on the
> page that's anything like as sophisticated as a good publishing
> program has, it will take the amount of person-years of work that the
> good publishing programs spent on it.  Which I'm sure is 10's of years
> if not hundreds or thousands.

What lilypond currently does - correctly and nicely placing staves on a
page, with many differents kinds of items (including texts) that are along
the staves, above, at the bottom; aligning them left, center, right
relatively to many other kinds of items, them being placed in differents
ways relatively many other kinds of items and vice versa, plus engravers
that can be added and removed one by one, plus scheme code that can modify
all this - is far more complex than just aligning a few texts to a page
border, or to the bottom of a score, which have been asked by several
peoples on several threads.

In other words, the idea linking several threads is: lilypond is so
impressive by easily and quickly computing very complex and long scores
along many pages - which very expensive software do not so good AFAIK - why
isn't possible that lilypond computes few static text along a small part of
a border page? Text placement being less complex to compute than scores,
because in a text the items (the characters) are sequential, and are not
linked one to the others (i.e. the form of a character does not depend of
what character is present 10 chars before or after)!
... plus the fact that one single \markup already does the job of text
processing, being able to align several text areas in several directions,
with several text formatting in each text area. Using M$ Word since many
years, it took it several versions to be able to do what a single \markup
can do now.

The thing that several people regret, each one for his/her own reasons, and
his/her own words and arguments, is \markup being not able to align text to
page border.
Just this.