Re: tuplets, tremolo and cross staff

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: tuplets, tremolo and cross staff
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 22:21:02 +0100

Hi Phil,

It seems I'm not the only one having problems with tremolos. ;-)

On 7/16/07, Phil Ragnvald < address@hidden > wrote:
Hello,
I am typing Schubert's "Erlkoenig" and I have to combine a tuplet (3 8 notes) with a tremolo and a staff crossing.
- \repeat "tremolo" 4. is not recognized as correct; after some tests, I have "invented" \repeat "tremolo" 3, and though the midi output is correct, instead of 4. notes in the lower staff, I have got 2. notes.
Is it a bug, or what is the solution?

I think your problem stems from using curly braces in \repeat "tremolo" - LilyPond is expecting a tremolo on two notes. It says in the documentation:

"Tremolo marks can also be put on a single note. In this case, the note should not be surrounded by braces."

You can fix this by moving the \tupCross macro outside the tremolo section and removing the \once so that the override stays. Of course, then you'll need another macro to turn off the staff switch as required.

\tupCross
\times 2/3 { \repeat "tremolo" 3 fa'8 }

Regards,
Neil