Re: breaks ok, and 16th note level beam direction

From: Kieran Coulter
Subject: Re: breaks ok, and 16th note level beam direction
Date: 19 Jul 2007 08:03:22 -0700

Hi all,

It's ok, I realized one of the tuplet values was off by one. I have been
putting in very long days with Lilypond getting my piano suite ready to learn
for a concert so I'm going to double check all these things before I post to
the list from now on. I have lots of questions I'm saving for after I've done
my first pass on the files (I'll want to mend any physical attributes for the
notes and rhythm before I continue on with articulations and dynamics), so I'll
have plenty of questions for the list very soon!

It seems like we cannot add .ly and .pdf attachments to our emails to the list,
so I will get them hosted to link to when I am ready.

And yes, I have used the invisible bar trick at a crucial point in one of the
files so I am very happy to see that it works!

One question I might ask early, since I will have to make the fix in numerous
places, is how to get the 16thnote level beam pointing in the direction I want
it to. Manual beam brackets "[" and "]" seem to affect the 8th note level beam
only. I found one tweak so far, but it does not fully join the 16th note level
beam in the direction I wish it to.

The issue comes when working in time signatures like 6/8 and 12/8 when I want
the last three 16ths in a rhythmic group beamed together (the 1st usually
follows a dotted 8th). Lilypond automatically sets it so that the 1st of three
16ths beams towards the dotted 8th, and I would rather beam it together with
the last 2 16ths, as is the case in standard editions (like the Beethoven
Appassionata 1st movement I am working on, ie. end of bar 3, RH.

I would love to know how to fix this as it is turning up rather frequently!

Thanks,

Kieran Coulter