Re: PDF Problem

From: Steve Schow
Subject: Re: PDF Problem
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:55:55 -0700 (PDT)

> For what it's worth, here's my screenshot of the same snippet
> (Linux64). It's not perfect, but not so ugly though.

Couldn't see your image?

> Honestly, I don't think LilyPond developers *can* fix it (maybe
> GhostScript guys could,

I totally disagree.  I use ghostscript to produce overture and finale PDF's
which look spectacular on screen on windows.  Ghostscript is not the
problem.  Additionally, the same problem shows up regardless of whether you
us ghostscript or distller to produce the final lilypond pdf.  For example I
can do this:

    file.ly --> lilypond --> file.ps --> adobe distiller --> file.pdf

and the result is the same as ghostscript..messed up.

> By the way, on linux, some viewers such as evince allow to view the
> .ps file (actually, it converts it internally to PDF on the fly, and
> then applies a nice anti-aliasing filter). If you want to have a more
> accurate preview, this could be worth considering... (I don't know if
> there's any equivalent on windows)

There may be a viewer that will work, but like I said that doesn't solve my
problem.  I don't actually care whether *I* can view it on screen.  I'm not
gonna view my own scores that way anyway, I'm gonna print them out.  What I
care about is if I can send the PDF to someone else and not have to tell
them that they have to use a special viewer to see it correctly.  See what I
mean?

Fundamentally, whatever Lilypond is outputting may very well be valid
postscript.  obviously it is, because the print outs look nice.  However,
for whatever the reason, its not "ideal" postscript or else it would look
good in the final PDF's, like it is from finale and overture.  I sure wish I
knew postscript better or the guts of lilypond to contribute to the
programming effort, but I don't.  Just making observations and PLEADING for
someone to consider that even linux developers may want to share their PDF's
with people that aren't on linux.