Re: Colliding fret-diagrams

From: Rob Duncan
Subject: Re: Colliding fret-diagrams
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 16:34:57 -0700

On 7/20/07, Kieren MacMillan <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Rob,

> Thanks for the suggestion.  I did the following
>     chrest = \once \override Rest #'X-extent = #'(0 . 5)
>     chnote = \once \override NoteColumn #'X-extent = #'(0 . 6)
> I then put \chrest before a rest that has an associated chord change,
> and similarly \chnote before a note. Is that what you meant?

Precisely!

> and it sorta worked

Whaddya mean, "sorta"??

I think it's just that I don't understand what the X-extent really
controls.  I tried a bunch of different values and I wasn't able to
find one that resulted in good spacing for all fret-diagrams.  In
other words, a value that was good for one diagram would be too loose
or too tight somewhere else.  It looks like each diagram needs to have
an adjustment specially tailored for it, which isn't very convenient.

In general this seems like a rather cumbersome mechanism--I wonder why
fret-diagrams aren't treated more like note objects.  I'm sure there
must be good reasons, but I haven't accumulated enough background
understanding to "get it" yet.

Thanks,

Rob.