Re: instrumentName and polyphony

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: instrumentName and polyphony
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:35:29 -0400

Hi Charlotte,

Where in the syntax, or even in the .ly file do I put the \set instrumentName?

The good news is, there's no one answer for that.
The bad news is, there's no one answer for that.
=)

I need to label each vocal line because some scores are SATB whilst others are SSTT or other combinations. However, I can only get one instrumentName
to appear (the lower of each pair of voices). (example code below)

The InstrumentName property is set at the Staff level, whereas you are including (e.g.) the S and A music as two *Voice* contexts within a single Staff context. Therefore, you need to set the (one) value to display *both* pieces of text you want to show on the one staff, i.e.

          \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup { \column { "S" "A" } }

or

    \new Staff = women
        \with { instrumentName = \markup { \column { "S" "A" } } }
        <<
\new Voice = "sopranos" { \voiceOne << \global \sopMusic >> }
            \new Voice = "altos" { \voiceTwo << \global \altoMusic >> }

Of course, adjust the sample markup (baseline-skip, alignment, etc.) as desired.

I'd also like to chance the default font settings for instrumentName,
to make the font smaller and sans-serif. Can I do this
globally, or do I have to do it for each \score in the .ly file?

Use

    \layout
    {