Re: Help with spacing spanner, i.e., horizontal spacing between notes

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Help with spacing spanner, i.e., horizontal spacing between notes
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 08:06:36 -0500

On 7/25/07, peterwinson <address@hidden> wrote:

I have read the horizontal spacing section in the manual and have tried to
replicated the code in my own ly file but \override SpacingSpanner
#'base-shortest-duration = #(ly:make-moment 1 4) doesn't seem to work.

Here is what I want to do.  The music is composed mostly of 1/8 notes.  So
if I make the base-shortest-duration to be 1/4 note then the spacing between
the notes would be shorter. Right?

However, no matter what I make base-shortest-duration to be, nothing
changes.  HELP!

Here is the code

http://www.nabble.com/file/p11803568/matins1_a.ly matins1_a.ly

Hi,

Does it work to simply make the line width shorter? Ie, you can add

  line-width = 5\in

in the paper block to see what this looks like.

In general, Lily likes to fill lines completely from left to right,
like fully justifying paragraphs of text, and I think that's why your
short, one-line example is stretched. If you add in several more lines
of music, Lily will optimize line spacing better. If, however, your
scores all are short like this, then consider setting

 ragged-last = ##f

in the layout block, which will tell Lily *not* to justify the last
(or in your case, the only) line. And while you're playing with
spacing, it's sometimes helpful to set

 ragged-right = ##t

also in the layout block, which will tell Lily *not* to justify all
lines in the score. In a one-line score, ragged-right = ##t should
carry the same effect as ragged-last = ##f.

Trevor.

--
Trevor Bača