Re: metric modulation?

From: Arvid Grøtting
Subject: Re: metric modulation?
Date: 26 Jul 2007 21:00:59 +0200

"Trevor Bača" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 7/26/07, Adam Good <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is there any handy dandy method to do the following:
> >
> > let's say I wrote out a piece in 7/8. What if I wanted to see what it
> > looked like in 7/16 without having to change every note value of what
> > I already wrote say:
> > a4. b4 c b8 a g a4 b8 a
> >
> > etc...
> >
> > but what gets printed is:
> > a8. b8 c b16 a g a8 b16 a
> >

> > can anyone come up with a quick and dirty method?
>
> *Really* dirty would be a python (or whatever) script to globally
> search and relplace all the durations ... basically a really dirty,
> simpler parser ...

Slightly less dirty would be something like this:

\version "2.11.28" % should work on versions all the way back to 2.8

looksFaster = #(define-music-function (parser location music)
                                    (ly:music?)
            (let ((new-music (ly:music-deep-copy music)))
             (shift-duration-log new-music 1 0)
             new-music))

\score { \looksFaster { a4. b4 c b8 a g a4 b8 a }}

...but there could be an even simpler way.  Have you checked the manual?

--

Arvid