RE: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)

From: PabloZum
Subject: RE: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:38:32 -0300

> Do you want users to be able to write out any _chord_ (which is a collection of notes), or any _chord name_ (which is a description for a collection of notes)?

> Are chord names unique for a collection of notes, or can there be multiple chord names for one collection of notes?

I want to be able to write out any chord *name*. I'm in the early stages of writing a book in two versions, one in English and one in Brazilian Portuguese. The Brazilian chord naming standard is different from both the European and the American ones, and is not supported in LilyPond's current version; neither is the American jazz chord naming standard, with stacked modifiers.

I'm currently trying out an idea given by Mats Bengtsson in the users forum, which is to write out the chord names as an additional set of timed lyrics above the score. It's easy to do and it works fine, except that the transposing function is lost.

All the same, I'd like to try and learn how to write sourcecode for LilyPond. Is there a manual or a tutorial? I've looked around but just found a tutorial & manual for users, not for developers.