Re: SVG output sponsorship

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: SVG output sponsorship
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:09:31 +0200

On Wednesday 15 August 2007, Vivian Barty-Taylor wrote:
> Thanks for that suggestion. Do you know where I can get the gnome
> backend, or do I just need to download the earlier version of Lilypond?

IIRC, it's a compile-time option which by default is off (i.e., you need to
recompile lily manually).

> However, I think there is a more general issue here about graphical
> notation in scores. I'm using various bits of graphics in this piece
> which aren't natively supported by Lilypond. Although I could add them
> all as EPS markups, the amount of time I would spend adjusting the
> positions of them makes it a lot easier to do it this way. The SVG
> option seemed the best because I don't lose image quality by converting
> to a bitmap, and also because Inkscape is a good piece of software.

Again, if your only problem is to adjust offsets etc, then getting the gnome
back-end to work may be a good solution for this problem too (i.e.: insert
EPS markups without considering spacing offsets, then move them to the right
spot using the gnome back-end). A problem here is that EPS images probably
won't show up in the gnome back-end. IIRC, it's possible to store a bitmap
preview in an EPS image; in this case it may be possible to hack the gnome
back-end to extract & display the preview.

Erik