Re: Feathered beams

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Feathered beams
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:23:14 +0200

Michael Sperone wrote:

Thank you for your help, I thought I might need to change the settings back.

I did get a chance to look through the chapters you mentioned, but couldn't really find anything that would change the settings back for the feathered beams. I'm not sure exactly what it is I should be typing. Sorry if it's obvious, but I'm not seeing it. I will keep trying different things though.

The documentation of the feathered beams says that you get them by
setting a certain property. This implies that you should revert that setting
to get back to ordinary beams. The general principles for setting and reverting properties are described in the sections Graham refered to. So, to get back to
ordinary beams, just insert a
\revert Beam #'grow-direction

If you only want a single feathered beam, this also means that you can use the
\once \override feature, see my example below.

I realize why you were mislead by the example in the manual, since the
property setting and the use of the function \featherDurations are two
completely different things. The following example illustrates the
concepts more in detail. I will include this example in LSR and also
make a small change to the example in the manual to reduce the risk of
confusion.

\version "2.10.0"

\relative c''
<<
\new Staff {
% Turn on feathered beams:
\override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT

% Example of a beamed sequence:
bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!]

% When the factor is 4/4=1, you get the same as without \featherDurations
\featherDurations #(ly:make-moment  4 4)
{ bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!] }

% When the factor is >1, you get a ritardando-like placement of the
% notes (and sound in the MIDI output).
\featherDurations #(ly:make-moment  6 4)
{ bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!] }

% When the factor is <1, you get accelerando, i.e. you should
% really only use if when \override Beam #'grow-direction = #RIGHT
\featherDurations #(ly:make-moment  3 4)
{ bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!] }

% Revert back to ordinary beams:
\revert Beam #'grow-direction
bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!]

% Get a single feathered beam, using \once \override:
\once \override Beam #'grow-direction = #LEFT
bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!]
bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!]

% The \featherDurations function just adjusts the durations
% of the notes and can be used without % feathered beams:
\featherDurations #(ly:make-moment  6 4)
{ bes32\p\>[ ges d' bes, c' ges a ges \!] }

}

% Reference rhythm to compare to:
\new Staff \repeat unfold 64 { c32 }

  /Mats