Re: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)

From: Tao Cumplido
Subject: Re: Proposed chord name font (PDF included)
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 12:32:04 +0200

Maybe it would be really better than to have a single font for chords.
I created my font with letters and numbers from CentureySchL and sharp and flat
from emmentaler and I can type G4 to get G4.
If I type GS4 the output will be Gsus4 or if I just type GS i get just Gsus
(which is the way I prefer).

The problem in Lilypond is I think that it tries to connect explicit tones to a
chord symbol (correct me if I am wrong).
But chord names shouldn't be like that, they should be just text and let the
interpreter have some space to make his/her own thing of the chord name.
for example the symbol C7alt. means a dominant seventh chord with altered
extensions where it is free to the interpreter if he/she raises or lowers the
ninth.

with the font and mats suggestion to use them as a lyricline I don't have much
problems anymore with typing chord names into my scores.
only as pablo pointed out the transpose function is lost and I have to create a
new chord line for tranposed instruments. but that's only a minor problem.
I don't know about legal issues since I copied glyphs from CenturySchL and
emmentaler but if someone tells me it's ok I'd like to post a table of my font
so you can see how it works.

regards,

Tao

-------- Original-Nachricht --------