Re: Padding around instrument names

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Padding around instrument names
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 21:39:12 +0200

Am Sonntag, 19. August 2007 schrieb Valentin Villenave:
> 2007/8/16, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:
> > Your observation is absolutely correct, so unfortunately you
> > have to manually adjust the "indent" parameter (or the
> > linewidth) to fit the instrument names.
>
> Additionally, you can use the following trick to center the instrument
> names (you may have have to tweak it a little if some staves have
> brackets whereas others don't).

While we are at it: Is there any way to vertically center the "instrumentName"
for a ChoirStaff, GrandStaff or StaffGroup? Here is an example snippet that
does not work (the instrument name is shown at the top, not vertically
centered):

\version "2.11.30"
\new ChoirStaff \relative
<<
  \new Staff { c1 \break c1 }
  \new Staff { c1 \break c1 }
  \set Staff.instrumentName = "Choir"
  \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "Ch."

If I use a PianoStaff and set PianoStaff.instrumentName, then the instrument
name is vertically centered:

\version "2.11.30"
\new PianoStaff \relative
<<
  \new Staff { c1 \break c1 }
  \new Staff { c1 \break c1 }
  \set PianoStaff.instrumentName = "Piano"
  \set PianoStaff.shortInstrumentName = "P."

But I haven't been able to achieve the same for other multi-staves staff
types. In particular

\version "2.11.30"
\new ChoirStaff \relative
<<
  \new Staff { c1 \break c1 }
  \new Staff { c1 \break c1 }
  \set ChoirStaff.instrumentName = "Choir"
  \set ChoirStaff.shortInstrumentName = "Ch."

does not print any instrument names.

Thanks,
Reinhold
- --