Re: initial acciaccatura confuses things?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: initial acciaccatura confuses things?
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 15:15:53 +0200

Ed Ravin wrote:
On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 08:04:47AM +0200, Mats Bengtsson wrote:
This bug is described in the manual in the section on grace notes, together with an explanation on how to solve the problem.

Funny, I've read that section many times, and even down to the bottom
when I was first learning LilyPond.  Just not recently.  I presume
you mean this bit under "Bugs":

  A score that starts with an \grace section needs an explicit \context
  Voice declaration, otherwise the main note and grace note end up on
  different staves.

But it would be nice if the manual had an example.
It does! The point you probably missed is that the \grace s16 should be inserted in all the other staves, so that all staves begin with a grace note of some form (\grace or \acciaccatura or \appoggiatura). I'll see if I can clarify this further in the manual. A complete version of the example from the manual, including the fix, is

<< \new Staff { e4 \bar "|:" \grace c16 d4 }
       \new Staff { c4 \bar "|:" \grace s16 d4 } >>

 I've tried this:

And this:

And neither one fixes the bug.
Again, what you have to do is to insert a corresponding \grace s16 in the
upper part.

  /Mats