Re: songbooks with guitar tablature

From: Jack Cooper
Subject: Re: songbooks with guitar tablature
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:37:03 -0400 (EDT)

Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Jack,

I took the liberty to download and look at your songbook, and just
wanted to share a few questions that occured to me while reading it:

Hi, Valentin.  Thanks for your feedback- I would mind responsing
to your questions point by point.
-first of all, many kudos for your work; you wanted something that
looked professionnal and it does indeed. I particularly like the font
you use (though maybe the capital "S" is a bit too condensed): what'
its name? is it free?

The specific font I chose for this instance is called Maiandra GD, which
came free with my installation of XP.  I liked the way it looked in this case,
but there are tons of OTF fonts available from Adobe that can be ordered
individually- they are not free.

-you seem to mix up free and non-free software in your introduction,
which can be okay as long as you specify the difference: LilyPond is
indeed open-source, but Adobe isn't (however there are opensource
alternatives, maybe worth to mention), and OpenOffice is hardly "a
freeware version of Microsoft Office"... This is a detail, but this
kind of details makes such projects as LilyPond particularly valuable,
in my opinion.
I think in my pre-edited intro notes, I made the distinction that Adobe
Standard was an additional commerical package I purchased for pdf
management.  I think I shot myself in the foot in the editing process :-)

While OpenOffice isn't technically a freeware version of Microsoft Office,
I don't know how else to describe it to folks who have never heard of it
or used it.  And since I wrote these intro notes, I am more inclined
to use GIMP for image editing and Scribus for general layout.  The
general point I was hoping to convey to someone is that it doesn't
require hundreds of dollars investment in software to produce professional
looking songbooks, thanks to lilypond.
-you're right to mention the "lilypond.org" website in your
introduction, but the footer (or copyright) field you use in the
scores mentions "lilypond.com", which belongs to Campbell Industrial
Supplies. I've nothing wrong with giving them some PR help, but maybe
this wasn't on purpose :)
Arggh!  While it is too late for me to correct printed versions I have made,
I will correct the online version.  My apoligies to all in the lilypond
community for this brain-addled error.
-the engraving looks definitely great -- no wonder: simply genuine
LilyPond :) -- just one little detail though: when you have to enter
empty measures, maybe you'd better use R1 instead of r1, so you can
have nice centered rests (yours are always left-aligned). Similarly,
if you enter your chords diagrams as a separate voice, you don't have
to split rests, like in the first line of "Put It Right". I see that
you aim to make the rhythm of the chord changes as clear as possible,
but I've never seen it affect the rests in the vocal line.
Thanks for the tips.  It honestly never occurred to me to create a separate
voice for the chord changes.  I will start experimenting.
-I think developing LilyPond-made songbooks is definitely a great
idea, and I hope many people will eventually be interested in
supporting your project. You do not mention, as far as I can see, the
source files of the scores you typeset: maybe it would be cool to
mention their existence, and possibly their licensing, if you plan to
let them available online, or send them upon request, etc.
I have a specfic market I am trying to interest in having songbooks
created, and I will have a better idea over the next couple of months
the level of interest within that market.

Making the source files files available is a very good idea but it
provides a bit of a conundrum.  Here's an example using a project
I am currently involved with creating a collection of notated traditional
fiddle songs.  The person who I am doing the notation for has decided,
after I've gotten halfway throught the set of tunes, that compensation
for my time is too expensive and if I could just spend an hour teaching
how to use the package, he could learn to do it himself.  Fair
enough.  But I think it is fair to say that while lilypond can be learned
fairly quickly for simple notation tasks, the mastery of the dozens
of tips and tricks found in the mailing list archives can not be
internalized overnight.  Many of these tricks inform the templates
the I initially setup to do the transcribing.  I have no qualms about
sharing these templates within the lilypond community, but feel
differently about it for this specific example.  Anyway, it raises a
number of interesting points.

Really a nice project. It's a pity you don't do contemporary
orchestral music, I definitely could use a copyist :)

Best Regards,
Valentin
Cheers,
  Jack