Re: Hara_kiri_engraver shouldn't handle both staves of a PianoStaff as s

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Hara_kiri_engraver shouldn't handle both staves of a PianoStaff as separate single staves
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:47:44 -0400

Hi Valentin,

this is, IMO, a bug: neither a Piano nor a Harp part
should ever be reduced to a single staff!

I disagree, and there are many hand-engraved examples to back me up -- for example, Stravinsky's Petrushka (Edition Russe de Musique, 1912) clearly shows the Harp I part as two staves with brace (most of the time) AND as a single staff (e.g., #29-#30), and the piano part as two staves with brace (most of the time) AND as a single staff (e.g., #27-#28).

Furthermore, as a composer (well, engraver), I *definitely* want the option to do either!

IMO, this should be a setting similar to connectArpeggios -- say, keepAliveTogether -- where the default is ##t, but it can be set to ##f as desired. I suppose this could also be extended (as an interface) to ChoirStaff, StaffGroup, etc., for ultimate flexibility.

Best regards,
Kieren.