Re: repeat syntax

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: repeat syntax
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:14:04 +0200

By the way, I just removed these unnecessary quotes from all the examples of repeats in the manual.

  /Mats

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
There's no difference. As far as I can recall, it has never been necessary to have quotes in this particular situations, but there are some other cases
where quotes are necessary, for example if you want to name a context
and the name has spaces or digits in it:

\new Staff = "violin 2" {c''}

You can find the same kind of confusing mix of quoted and non-quoted strings in the manual when it shows how to add or remove engravers from a context,
for example.

   /Mats

Shelagh Manton wrote:
In the documentation for lilypond 2.10.11
(also in the online documentation of 2.11)
section 6.7.2

\repeat volta 4 { e | c2 d2 | e2 f2 | }

and later on down the page

\repeat "volta" 5 { d d d }

section 6.7.3

\unfoldRepeats {
  \repeat tremolo 8 {c'32 e' }

and in section 6.7.5

 \repeat "tremolo" 8 { c16 d16 }

Is there a difference? Does it make a difference whether the repeat
variant is quoted or not?

Shelagh

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing