Re: Tip: lyrics with polyphony / stem directions (without specifically i

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Tip: lyrics with polyphony / stem directions (without specifically instantiated voices)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:19:12 -0400

Hi Mark,

It looks like there is a solution to the problem

Glad it worked!

perhaps people in the past just didn't understand the questions of the people asking properly . . .

Perhaps... that's why I kept trying to clarify what question you were really asking, so that I could answer the question you were really asking! =)

Graham: may I suggest one thing that might help the docs? In 6.3 (especially .4, Explicitly instantiating voices), maybe if the notes in each Voice context were independently (i.e., differently) coloured, the examples (and thus the constructs and internal Lilypond mechanisms) would be even more clear immediately?

For an example, see the attached snippet.

Best regards,
Kieren.
_______________

\version "2.11.30"

\markup \wordwrap { At first it may be difficult to understand why the three C notes are not tied in the following example: }
\score
{
        \new Staff \relative c''
        {
                c ~ << { c ~ } \\ { a } >> c

\markup \wordwrap { By colouring the main Voice red, the problem becomes clear: }
\score
{
        \new Staff \relative c''
        {
                \override Voice.NoteHead #'color = #red
                c ~ << { c ~ } \\ { a } >> c

\markup \wordwrap
{
Within the \typewriter {"<< \\\ >>"} polyphony section, two completely new Voice contexts, independent from the main Voice, have been constructed automatically by Lilypond. There are several ways to compensate for this instantiation, but the easiest is simply to avoid the \typewriter { "\\\ " } construct entirely — within the "<< >>" construct, any notes before an explicit \typewriter { "\\new Voice" } command will belong to the main Voice context (i.e., the one “outside” the polyphony):
}
\score
{
        \new Staff \relative c''