Re: Lilypond Odd Jobs (mostly documentation)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Lilypond Odd Jobs (mostly documentation)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 22:59:29 -0700

Kieren MacMillan wrote:

GENERAL EDITING / JANITORIAL:
- check manual for current correctness (does it make sense, is the info up-to-date, etc)
- verify anything in the "bugs" sections
- standardize # signs
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2006-10/msg00180.html
- avoid future tense
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2006-01/msg00076.html

Is this job still open?
Yes, definitely. The one-shot jobs might have a better result/payoff ratio, but if you're interested in this, it's certainly open!

There are three different levels you could pursue:
- (low) read the docs, experiment with "bugs", find mistakes. Then write emails to me detailing all these changes, and I'll happily make the corrections. - (medium) download the source, then edit the .texinfo files (they're easy to understand, even if you've never used texinfo) to make corrections. If you do this, then you could also read/resolve any comments in the docs. :) - (high) download the source, build docs on your home computer (see Program Usage, 1.2.4 Building documentation without compiling LilyPond), edit texinfo, build docs again to make sure you have a good patch, then send patches to me.

Speaking from experience, the last option is much more satisfying (since you can actually see the changes), but requires a bit more technical ability. Since you're using OSX, it shouldn't be too hard. (I did everything like this until two weeks ago) oh, you should have fink installed; you might want to look into that if you don't have it already.

Cheers,
- Graham