Lyric encoding for midis

From: Cordilow
Subject: Lyric encoding for midis
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:55:16 -0700 (PDT)

I've been having trouble with my karaoke midis made from LilyPond, seeing as
my midi player doesn't do UTF-8.

Generally speaking, the only UTF-8 characters I need are also included in
the extended ASCII character set (which my karaoke player—or pretty much any
karaoke player—should be fine with).

Is there a way to make it so the applicable characters are translated to
that character set for the midi so I don't see garbled stuff every time I
type characters such as the following? —, “, ”, í, ß, ð, Þ, and so forth.

Anyway, that would be nice to know.  I'd rather leave the text/source/ly
file as UTF-8 if I could, though (but I'd still want to know, if not).

If not . . . Do you have any suggestions for a good UTF-8 compatible karaoke
midi player (preferably one specifically meant for that, rather than
something huge like Winamp)?