Re: Need advice re; text and lyrics combination(s)

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: Need advice re; text and lyrics combination(s)
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2007 15:53:14 +0100

Hi Jay,

On 9/1/07, Jay Hamilton <address@hidden> wrote:
Uh, no that didn't do what I needed.
I should have deleted the words above the staff to make the example clearer.
The words below the staff are all lyrics to be sung when under notes and spoken when under either hand claps or rests so they need to be attached to their respective events.

Do you want the lyrics like this: ay oh rack a RACK rack  a ay oh rack  a RACK rack a, but with each "RACK" aligned underneath the rests? If that's the case, you can use the invisible note trick to make the lyrics stick.

rack = << { \hideNotes bes4 \unHideNotes } \new Voice { bes\rest } >> %show a rest, include hidden note so lyrics can be aligned

It's important to explicitly instantiate the new voice for the rest, otherwise the lyrics context can't find the notes to align to. Compare the above with the following, which doesn't work properly:

<< { \hideNotes bes4 \unHideNotes } \\ { bes\rest } >>

Here's your snippet with the tweak:

\version "2.10.25"
\header {
    title = "Tunnel Piece"
    composer = "Jay Hamilton"
    copyright = \markup { \tiny \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
        \center-align {
            "CC lic 2.5 some rights reserved Jay Hamilton 1989"
            "see http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd/2.5/"

crossesOn = \override NoteHead #'style = #'cross
crossesOff = \revert NoteHead #'style
rack = << { \hideNotes bes4 \unHideNotes } \new Voice { bes\rest } >>

fluteMusic = \relative c'' {
    \set Staff.instrumentName = "Singer I"
    \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "I."
    \set Staff.midiInstrument = "flute"

    \time 6/8
    r4^\markup {\tiny \italic "words spoken on rests and handclaps"} es8 des ~ des4
    \crossesOn bes8 bes^\markup { \hspace #0 \raise #1.5 \bigger \bold "In Position at the middle of the Tunnel" }
    \crossesOff \rack \crossesOn bes8 bes \crossesOff r4 es8 des ~ des4
    \crossesOn bes8 bes \crossesOff  \rack \crossesOn bes8 bes \crossesOff
}

fluteLyrics = \lyricmode  {
    ay oh rack_  a RACK rack_  a ay oh rack_  a RACK rack_ a
}

\score {
    <<
    \new Voice = flute  \fluteMusic
    \new Lyrics \lyricsto flute \fluteLyrics

    \layout { }

By the way why does the defining of crosses on and off work?  And where is that 'shortcut' in the manual?

 Have a look at section 4.2, "Saving typing with identifiers and functions".

Regards,
Neil