Re: padding

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: padding
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 15:09:55 +0200

Sorry, I forgot to add the promised line at the end of the email.

 /Mats

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
It's much easier to provide relevant answers if you include some short
(but complete) example of an .ly file that illustrates your problems, such as
\version "2.10.29"
\relative c'''{
#(set-octavation 1)
d^1
}

Please read the sections on "Moving objects" and "Fixing overlapping notation" in the manual, to learn how to solve the problem. As can be seen in the section on Ottava brackets, the relevant object name is "OttavaBracket". What is slightly less obvious to figure out is that the ottava brackets are handled at the Staff level, not at the Voice level. I reveal the relevant command to do the setting at the end of this email, but strongly encourage you to first try yourself and figure it
out, since the same principles are useful in many other applications.

The good news is that if you upgrade to the latest development version
(or wait for the next stable version 2.12, which hopefully is not too far
in the future), the collision is avoided automatically.

Regarding the positioning of fingering instructions, I'm not really sure what you mean. Have you used \set fingeringOrientations = ... and want to know how to revert that
setting? In that case, read "Changing context properties on the fly".

Regarding the string number indications, what kind of layout do you want?
I don't understand how you should typeset the indication so that it's clear
which notes it applies to.

Regarding the use of ' and , to specify the pitch, please read "Simple notation" again.

  /Mats

Julian Vincent wrote:
Using Lilypad v. 2.10.29, I have some notes (d above the treble stave) which have fingerings above them, and the ottavo instruction as well. Fingerings and ottavo are competing for the same space. How can I separate them? I can't see a suitable \set instruction, and I can't see how to turn off the command which positions fingering numbers to one side of the note. Also, I need to indicate that a number of notes need to be played on a particular string. How can I extend the string-number symbol to indicate more than one note. The other thing which is driving me potty (though trial and error solve it) is the positioning of the notes using ' and , and how long each instruction lasts. I think I'm getting the hang of it . . .
I'd be grateful for some help . . .

Try something like:
\override Staff.OttavaBracket #'padding = #3.0