Re: Scheme Markups in TextSpanner's #'edge-text

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Scheme Markups in TextSpanner's #'edge-text
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2007 13:20:01 -0500

On 9/3/07, David F. Place <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> Thanks very much for your help on my last topic.
>
> I have a situation where I would like to have a \markup as the end text
> of a TextSpanner.   I see that I can do it by using the scheme syntax
> for the markup as described in section 8.1.2.   The markup I want is
> correctly engraved using the following normal markup syntax.  I am using
> version 2.10.25.
>
> \markup  {\line {\bold {sehr langsam} \tiny \note #"4" #1 = ca 42}}
>
> When I try to translate it to scheme in an obvious way, the engraver
> just leaves out the note altogether.
>
> \override TextSpanner #'edge-text = #(cons "rit." (markup #:line (#:bold
> "sehr langsam" #:tiny #:note "4" 1 " = ca 42")))
>
> I can't find anywhere in the documentation where the process of
> transcribing \markup into scheme markup is detailed.

Hi David,

The TextSpanner's edge-text property was replaced with a new construct
(bound-details) that allows for more detailed tweaking of both the
left and right ends of spanners. The change occured  in the 2.11.x
series of development releases; I'm not 100% certain, but I believe
that that same replacement has been applied to the 2.10.x series of
releases that you're using, too.

So you can test to see if TextSpanner #'edge-text even exists anymore
in 2.10.25 by simplifying your example to a single string like #(cons
"foo" "bar") instead of the more complex markup that you have. If you
still get zero output then you know that the problem isn't because of
your markup translaton but because the edge-text attribute is gone.

Assuming that edge-text is gone, you can read about the convert-ly
script and try running convert-ly on a simple example of the old
edge-text syntax and examine what the new syntax looks like.

Last, here's an example to get you started with the new syntax ...

   \override TextSpanner #'bound-details #'left #'text = \markup {
\fontsize #4 picc. }

... which is good because you can use \markup { } directly instead of
having to translate to the #( )-looking forms.

Hope this helps.

--
Trevor Bača