Re: guitar polyphony

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: guitar polyphony
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 10:32:42 +0200

Helge Kruse wrote:
Hello,

I want to write my first guitar notes with tabs after finishing some harp scores.

While I found most guitar specific points, I have problem with polyphony.

The "normal" polyphony gives a problem with tabs. The notes are written to the staff instead of tab. (see meaure 4). What's wrong?
The << {...} \\ {...} >> construct will always create Voice contexts, whereas
you want new TabVoice contexts within your TabStaff. Please read "Explicitly
instantiating voices" in the manual for more information. One way to do it in your
score is

\version "2.11.25"

melody = \relative c {

\key d \major
\time 4/4

d8 a' d fis  a,, e' a cis | b, fis' b d  d,, fis' a cis |
g, d' g b  d,, fis' a d  | g,, g' b d  a, e' a cis |

\voiceTwo d,,2 a' }

secondvoice = \relative c {
 s1*4 \voiceOne
 fis'8 d, a' d   e a, cis e,
}

\score {
 <<
   \context Staff = Guit <<
     \clef "G_8"
     \new Voice \melody
     \new Voice \secondvoice

   \context TabStaff = Tab <<
     \set TabStaff.stringTunings = #'(4 -1 -5 -10 -15 -22)
     \new TabVoice \melody
     \new TabVoice \secondvoice

}

The bass notes in the first three measures (d, a, b, d, g, d, g, a) should be printed as half notes but stick with the beams. This is normally not correct but usual in guitar notation. How can this be done?
Certainly! If you define the macro
halfnote = {\once \override NoteHead #'duration-log = #1 }
at the top of your file, you can use it like
\halfnote d8 a' d fis  \halfnote a,, e' a cis |

   /Mats