Re: GDP: rearrange manual

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: rearrange manual
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 04:54:08 -0700

Trevor Bača wrote:
~ subsection 8.4.3 "Proportional notation" can be removed completely
in favor of subsection 11.6.5 "Proportional notation"

I'd rather not remove subsections yet; we'll do that when we GDPify that particular chapter.

~ subsections 8.4.4 "Clusters" and 8.4.5 "Special noteheads" can
become the very last subsections of section 6.1 "Pitches"

General note: I'd like to have between 5 and 9 subsections inside each section. Besides, IMO "clusters" are polyphony. :)

~ subsection 8.4.8 "Selecting notation font size"; how did this ever
wind up here? I don't understand the intent of this section; it talks
only about notehead font size (not about font sizes in general), so if
we keep it (which seems unnecessary, actually) then it should go to
section 6.1 "Pitches"

It doesn't belong in pitches, but I really don't know what to do with it. The whole 7.6 Special use (in the new arrangement) is kind-of giving up; I'd really like to move those sections elsewhere, or get a better title, or something.

(I make the preceding recommendation on contemporary notation based on
the fact that we've come a *TREMENDOUSLY* far way with contemporary
notation in the last major releases and I think that the most
professional way to reflect this fact is to un-ghetto-ize the
contemporary stuff and just include it -- elegantly and cleanly -- in
the other major sections of the manual.)

Yes, absolutely.  Already done. :)

Cheers,
- Graham