Re: GDP: rearrange manual

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GDP: rearrange manual
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:46:44 +0200

Yes, I guess my main point was the on-line manual, where the splitting into
separate HTML pages is a problem in some cases, like Valentin just
illustrated. As far as I understand, it's the texinfo -> HTML conversion that
imposes the constraint that each subsection ends up in a separate HTML.
It would really be a pity to be forced to use a specific kind of document
structure just because these tools are not so flexible.

Being able to quickly scroll through a section in the on-line documentation
is clearly very valuable when you're looking for an answer to a specific
problem but don't know exactly what subsection to look into, or to get an
overview of a more complicated solution as in the example Valentin
brought up.

  /Mats

Valentin Villenave wrote:
Just a question...

(by the way, is it really relevant to cross post this entire
discussion to -devel?)

I'm finishing translating the current chapter #9 (changing-defaults)
and here's what I see:

9.3.2
"Suppose we want to move the fingering indication in the fragment below:"
===> but it actually doesn't tell how to do it; you have to keep reading...

9.3.3
"The HTML page that we found in the previous section"
===> now we're beginning to understand what we've seen previously.
*but* we still don't have the bloody answer :)

9.3.4
"Recall that we wanted to change the position of the..."
===> And *now* we have the answer...

It's fun, interesting, thrilling, very well thought. great pedagogy;
but it implies that the subsections are absolutely not independant
from each other.

Therefore, I would second Rune's proposal for gathering subsections on
a single page.
Or we'd have to rewrite this whole section (and that would be a pity).

Graham, what do you think?
Valentin

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing