Re: GDP: rearrange manual

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: GDP: rearrange manual
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:54:12 +0200

We could use @anchor to get links (@ref's in Info) on the same page, but
I'm not sure *Menu items can redirect to an @anchor.

> Often I know what I need, but I don't know how to name it exactly, so an
> with some selected keywords is not so helpful. In these cases, I tend to go
> to a page that treats that subject, and do a full text search (or with the
> short subsections in the lilypond documentation click through all subsections
> of that sections, manually scanning the section for what I'm looking for). If
> lilypond's documentation has larger sections (one for each larger topic),
> doing a text search is possible and I don't have to "read" (i.e. quickly scan
> each page visually for what I'm looking for).
>
> The other reason is that it's easier to remember where to find somethings.
> Currently, whenever I look for that nice lilypond example of all
> articulations, I go to the contents, search for "articulation", and then from
> that page, I know I have to take the "Articulations" link to the page I'm
> actually looking for.
>
> Having everything related on one page removes the need to click through many
> pages, and additionally makes it possible to print out only the wanted
> section.

The PDF manual is certainly much more suitable for printing, and easy
full text searching is one purpose of the big page HTML manual.

We will decide about having larger HTML pages (and thus larger Info
nodes) in a further step of the Grand Documentation Project.  Now we
only decide about naming new chapters and sections, moving sections
between chapters and subsections between sections.

Cheers,
John