Re: GDP: length/page-splitting of subsections

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: GDP: length/page-splitting of subsections
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 22:51:03 +0200

I know we're now drifting away from the goal of restructuring the
documentation into sections. Instead, this thread seems to be turning into
improving the general documentation system, which I regard as a step that
should be done before going into details of restructuring the actual manual.

- From the mails so far, I think it makes sense to have:
- -) Introductury tutorial covering the basics of Lilypond. The full docs need
to assume that the reader is aware of these. The current tutorial is too
basic to help in this regard.
- -) Extensive documentation (basically what we have now, after the
restructuring)
- -) LSR as an official part on the lilypond page, linked from the doc. The
regression testing page and the tips pages are a useful piece of resources,
but with hundreds of examples are simply not usable when you look for
something specific. LSR should (and is intended to, anyay) take over that
job.

As a personal comment: The documentation of lilypond is really great!!! It's
just that due to the load of small pages, it's easy to get lost and hard to
find a page again when you can't remember exactly.

Am Montag, 10. September 2007 schrieb Rune Zedeler:
> Citat Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> > The all-in-one HTML page is **5 megs**.  I'm astounded that so many
> > people (ie more than 0) are choosing to download that monster _every
> > time_ they want to look something up in the docs.
>
> We don't.
> Browsers have caches, you know :-)

Konqueror even has that nice feature to save a web page locally (in a .war
file, which ist just a zip file) including all images from that page... It
just takes a while for the browser to format a 5MB web page correctly, laying
out all images as they load...

Am Montag, 10. September 2007 schrieb fiëé visuëlle:
> BTW I'd like to see an forever-working URL like http://lilypond.org/
> doc/current/Documentation/ (instead of the version; should need only
> one symlink; maybe "current-stable" and "current-dev").

Fully agree with that!

Another suggestion: set up lsr.lilypond.org to point to the LSR (it might
still be located on the current .it server, but honestly who remembers that
URL???). That would also make the LSR appear as an official part of lilypond
instead of a third-party service.

Am Montag, 10. September 2007 schrieb Rune Zedeler:
> Citat Valentin Villenave <address@hidden>:
> > I think CSS allows to do this without needing an extra (ugly) frame.
>
> It is possible with css, but you would have to redownload the entire toc
> each time.
> With frames the toc stays and you only load the pages themself.

But you can't easily bookmark...

Cheers,
Reinhold
- --