GTK and LilyPond

From: Mark Dewey
Subject: GTK and LilyPond
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 16:50:47 -0700

I use LilyPond 2.10.29 on Windows 2000.

I've long noticed that installing the GTK separately from LilyPond (as it is
needed for other programs) sometimes causes problems (and so does installing
LilyPond after installing the separate GTK).

Is it possible to get a distribution of LilyPond that doesn't have the GTK or
GTK elements bundled, but rather just relies on the one already installed?

Anyway, whenever I install LilyPond, GIMP doesn't work anymore because of
something to do with this.

When I installed the separate GTK afterward (and then GIMP), this time at
least, LilyPond was behaving 'strangely' (the computer slowed down
tremendously, even after all the programs stopped running, and almost crashed;
I had to restart it to get it back to normal).  GIMP works fine in this case,
though (until I install a new version of LilyPond).

I know something that could potentially fix the problem, but I'm a little
afraid to try.  When I install the GTK (with LilyPond already there), it asks
me if I want to rename some of the LilyPond files (I've always said no).  Will
LilyPond still work if I rename these files?