Re: GTK and LilyPond

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: GTK and LilyPond
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:01:43 +0200

2007/9/11, Mark Dewey <address@hidden>:
> Anyway, whenever I install LilyPond, GIMP doesn't work anymore because of
> something to do with this.

I don't know which GTK applications you're using, but the opposite
could be done easily, i.e. standard LilyPond installation, *but*
instead of using a GTK installation, you can use a portable version of
every other GTK application you need:
http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/pidgin_portable
http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/gimp_portable
etc...

These applications come with their own bundled GTK, which shouldn't
cause any conflict with LilyPond. (you can use them exactly like the
versions you're already using; you don't have to put it on a USB key
or anything.)

I'm looking forward to see a portable windows version of LilyPond
too... I don't know if the PATH can be modified on the fly.

> I know something that could potentially fix the problem, but I'm a little
> afraid to try.  When I install the GTK (with LilyPond already there), it asks
> me if I want to rename some of the LilyPond files (I've always said no).
> Will LilyPond still work if I rename these files?

I'm afraid not. You can try, though.

Good luck :)

Valentin