GDP: flattening the manual to two layers?

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: GDP: flattening the manual to two layers?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 06:41:14 -0500

Hey Graham, hey everyone,

The GDP discussion has been extremely interesting and I think I've
caught up on most of the threads. But I'm not certain so feel free to
tell me if this topic has already come up.

Question: has anyone suggested replacing the three-layer chapter /
section / section structure with a two-layer chapter / section
structure? The major sections are extremely useful and have,
importantly, self-evident titles; but I've never felt that grouping
the major sections into "basic", "decorating", "instrument-specific"
etc really buys anything ... it's always going to be quite arbitrary
as to what counts as "basic" versus "decorating" versus "text", IMO,
so maybe best to just kill the false disctinctions. That would leave
us with a 20 or 30 chapter manual, which makes perfect sense for
something like a notation reference for an engraving system (again
IMO).

So like this:

etc ...

--