Re: how to beam non-tuplets with tuplets?

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: how to beam non-tuplets with tuplets?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 16:32:18 +0200

Am Dienstag, 11. September 2007 schrieb Neil Puttock:
> On 9/11/07, Valentin Villenave <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 2007/9/11, Adam James Wilson <address@hidden>:
> > > Perhaps two examples - one manually beaming non-tuplets->tuplets and
> > > one manually beaming tuplets->non-tuplets (maybe just the examples
> > > below) - could be added to the 2.11 manual under "tuplets?"  I'd be
> > > happy to write up a little chunk of text if that would help.
> >
> > That this is definitely a LSR-worthy tip (I've been looking for such a
> > tip for hours myself).
>
> To add a dissenting voice, I don't think this is LSR-worthy, in my humble
> opinion.
>
> Surely it's clear from the postfix-style syntax for manual beaming that the
> right square bracket should directly follow the note which is to be at the
> end of the requested beaming, i.e. inside the tuplet section?

After you found out, it makes sense (because the bracket is not a bracket in
the sense that it encloses something, but rather an attribute to the note).
But if you are used to writing code, interleaving brackets and braces seems
completely counter-intuitive (in particular since lilypond is very picky
about slurs when you work with << ....\\ ....>>). I ran into this very
problem a while back and it took me some time to figure out that I can
interleave the brackets.

Once you have found out how it works, it might seem like a no-brainer, but if
you have not yet, then such a snippet is quite useful

Cheers,
Reinhold